A Bit of Fencing…. 2009

Fence showing straining wires

We had a break from the felling routine in 2009 and did some planting [as before] and some fencing.

The fencing was needed to define the boundary between our property and the neighbouring field… the original fence was very ‘tired’ and in places… completely missing [having, in our absence, been driven straight through by a digger!!]

The fencing was done in two stages… when Stuart was here, in March, we aimed to get the posts in place and the strainers fixed up with the three carry wires attached and strained.
The strainers were done as “Colonial” two post, rather than the more usual post and a diagonal. This technique lends itself to rocky soil like ours, where it is difficult to dig a decent post hole to a good depth.
I’ve seen the method used quite a lot around here… so it is not a strange thing to see a double header version at a corner or bend, the central post of three being the ‘joint’. And just recently I’ve seen a triple upright, double tensioner version over near Chaumussay.

Fence line - March

This is the major fence line, the one between the properties.
The "Colonial" strainer is in and tensioned and the post line is in place.
The thin posts are rose poles that I used as sighting poles...
the most difficult part of fencing is getting the line right in the first place!

You will see from the picture that a winder is used to tension the frame… when fixing the stock fence in place, you start to strain up the fence at the second post, leaving the piece that covers the strainer frame able to be removed as necessary for re-tensioning the fenceline.
All the posts used were reclaimed chestnut ones from other places on the site… mainly from the bank of the bief.

Stuart and I managed to get both the lines finished and the straining wires in place without much difficulty… despite using ‘second-hand’ posts.

Fence showing straining wires

This is a corner of the second fence line, the one by the road.
The three strainer wires can be seen quite clearly.
The wooden rail from the corner is not a "colonial" strainer,
but a length of timber performing much the same function on a very short run.

When Pauline and I returned in May, we stapled the stock fencing in place on most of the fence line, leaving just two sections that I will be completing in the next couple of weeks… honest.
This entailed rolling out the cattle mesh and crimp-stapling it to the top wire… before going back down the line and doing the same on the other two… trying to hold a 22 kilo roll of cattle mesh upright and unroll it at the same time is no joke… it seems to be very tired and wants to lie down all the time!! But we got there… with much shouting and cussing!!

Fence line - May

This is the main fence line, once the cattle mesh has been added.
You will see that the bottom wire does not run along the bottom of the mesh,
but along the next 'rung' up... this allows the mesh to be 'moulded' along the ground.
Any bigger irregularities are taken care of with offcuts of mesh wired on and buried.

In 2010 we did more planting and started the willow plantation…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Blog Stats

    • 2,172 hits
%d bloggers like this: